Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Native Language Essay: Spanish

Spanish is not my Native Language

Challenges of an English Language Learner

Author: Manuel R. CortezRodas


The first language I learned, and became proficient in, is Spanish.  During my childhood, and early educational development, Spanish was the primary language of communication, it being used for talking, speaking, reading, and writing.  Spanish was used at home, in school, and in the community.

The second language I learned, and became proficient in, is English.  Since my teenage years, and secondary/post-secondary educational development, English has been the primary language of communication, it being used for talking, speaking, reading, and writing.  English was used at home, in school, and in the community.

My first language is Spanish, and my second language is English, but neither language is my native language.  My native language is Nahuatl, and I am not proficient in it.  It has not been a part of my life or education, and has not been used for talking, speaking, reading, and writing.  Nahuatl has not been used at home, in school, or in the community.

This is a challenge to me as a Hispanic Latin-American, to learn and become proficient in my native language.  A language which if not learned, will be forgotten.  Learning my native language will allow me to abridge the abyss that has been carved since the time that my native land welcomed those who immigrated from other lands of the world.  A Hispanic Latin-American culture has emerged over the last 500 years, but it did not originate then, it originated when the sun first rose.

Copyright 2013.  MRCR Educational Consulting Firm.  All Rights Reserved.